With a bright red maple leaf at the center, these patriotic pancakes are best for Canada Day. Fresh red berries, whipped cream and maple syrup are wonderful toppings, however you can switch it with your favourite fruit, nuts, sauce plus much more.
Patriotic Pancakes Perfect
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Rest Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Makes: about 12 pancakes
1 cup milk
1 Tbsp butter, melted
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
22 ml Red food colouring
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups fresh raspberries
1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped
Canada Day pancakes
1. In large spouted bowl, whisk together egg, milk and butter, then whisk in flour, baking powder and salt until smooth. Let stand twenty minutes.
2. Measure 1/3 cup with the batter into shallow bowl, and thin with sufficient water turn into a creamy consistency. Tint red with food colouring.
3. Over medium-low heat, heat a nonstick skillet with 1 Tbsp oil per pancake. Brush 2-inch (5 cm) maple leaf-shaped standard with some with the oil. Place in skillet. Pour in enough red batter to fill, then cook 1 minute until set on bottom. Holding cutter with tongs, or hands, lift cutter clear of maple leaf shape. Using a squeeze bottle or spoon, top each leaf with plenty white batter to hide.
4. Cook until bubbles form on tops, about 3 minutes. Turn pancakes and cook until bottoms are golden, about 1 minute.
5. Working in batches and brushing pan with remaining oil as necessary, repeat with remaining batters, cleaning off standard when necessary.
Serve pancakes with maple syrup, raspberries along with a dollop of whipped cream.